Monday, January 22, 2007

Fish Ball Noodles

A fellow blogger mom asked for this recipe.

This is the basic recipe I used for my fish cake noodles - although, obviously, for the lack of many of the ingredients, I had to substitute and make do with whatever I had. By the way, I got the recipe from here.

For the noodles, I highly recommend using the one I have in the picture below. The noodles taste nice and light and my kids love them. I did not at all follow the exact measurements of this recipe, although, I did use it as a 'guide' to gauge how much of the ingredients are needed.

In the end, IMO, these things are really up to your own tastes and preferences when you cook - because you and your family are the people who are going to tuck in.

Would be really nice with some pickled green chillies, I think.


Ingredients:


* 2 tbsps cooking oil
* 2 cloves garlic, minced
* 1 cm ginger, minced
* 6 cups water
* 3 tbsps Concentrated chicken stock
* 1 tbsp sliced preserved cabbage (optional)
* 12 fish balls
* ½ tsp sesame oil
* Pepper to taste

* 300gm thin rice vermicelli (mai fun)

Garnishing:

* 1 cup bean sprouts, tailed and blanched
* 1 stalk celery, cut into 1 cm sections
* 1 stalk of scallion/spring onions, finely chopped
* ¼ cup sliced fried shallot

Directions:

1. Heat oil, stir fry garlic and ginger until aromatic
2. Add in water and bring to a boil. Add chicken stock and preserved cabbage, simmer for 5 minutes.
3. Stir in fish balls, sesame oil and pepper to taste; cook for 5 minutes until done.
4. When serving, place vermicelli into individual bowls. Add garnishing and pour hot soup over the vermicelli.

5 comments:

Along said...

Hi Ibah. Along here, remember me? Sesama scholarlah. Found ur blog via Kak Dilla's. Just wanted to say hi.

Halwafy said...

Hi Along.

Of course I remember you. In fact I have been to your blog as well, a few times, but have never left any comments, so far.

Thanks for visiting and do come again.

me said...

halwafy: thanks a bunch. Can try out this weekend, my kids will definitely love this recipe coz just just love noodles.

Halwafy said...

working mom: wonder if those noodles I recommended are available in Malaysia...

jujuqtpie said...

I think yeah, they are sold in supermarkets. By the way, I tried your sotong kangkung recipe. Yummmy!