Friday, June 20, 2008

Kuih Kasui


It's been a long time since I last put up a recipe. It's not that I have not been cooking - I have been cooking quite a bit lately - but it's because of the orders I get.

Yes, I have been doing some catering (with a friend) lately and have been taking orders too for my baking!


How exciting is that? :)

Well, very, very exciting - for me, at least.


Due to the nature of the business, I am more inclined to cook more Malaysian flavours nowadays - my friend is an expert in Beriyani Johor so I guess that is our speciality at the mo, but we also cook all sorts of stuff so anyone out there who may be interested in our catering, big or small, feel free to contact me via this blog or email!

That's my bit of advertising done.

I know that some people may think that one shouldn't share recipes if one is in the food business but I believe that all beneficial knowledge should be shared and spread around...after all, all this knowledge is from Allah and it won't be any use to any of us in the hereafter right? On the contrary, lagi banyak dapat pahala if we share our knowledge together, I think... :)

So here's my Kuih Kasui recipe for you to try.

The recipe originally came from an aunt who is a connoisseur of malay foods but I have tinkered with it a little as her recipe was not exact , as normally old recipes are and I think the result is pretty good.

The trick for the kasui is to make sure the batter is not thick AT ALL. Otherwise the kuih will be pretty hard and tak sedap.

Here's the recipe:

1.5 cups plain flour
1.5 cups rice flour
0.5 cup tapioca flour/ tepung sagu
0.25 cup sugar
2.5 cups water
1 Tbs lye water/ air kapur/ alkaline water

*1 cup brown sugar/ gula melaka
*2 cups water

Boil * until dissolved and leave to cool.

In a medium size bowl, mix all the other ingredients, blend well (in a blender or just use a whisk, which I did). Add the cooled sugar mixture, mix well and sieve into another bowl. Let rest for half an hour.

Heat up the steamer. Make sure your apam moulds are oiled lightly before pouring the batter into them so that the kuih will be easy to take out. Pour the batter into the moulds using a measuring cup - it's easier that way. Cook for about 20-25 minutes.

If you use a tin, you have to wait for the kasui to cool before cutting it I think. But if the mould is used, you can straight away use a knife/ spoon to scoop it out really, without ruining the kuih much.

Don't forget the coconut on top. That should be steamed too for about 10-15 minutes (to make it last longer) with a little bit of salt. If you use dessicated coconut, steaming is a very good way to soften the coconut bits and transform it into something similar to freshly grated coconut.

Good luck!

12 comments:

M-O-M said...

waaah yeay for you. no wonder u've been quite quiet these days...all the best with your catering...from here can order ka? ;)

Anonymous said...

the kuihs look yummy la!! good luck la in your new business :)

Yan said...

arghh!!! drooolsssssss...kepingin nye kuih kasui rite now!! :p great news about the business venture! Good on ya K.Ibah! best tuh! ;))

The Hand That Holds The Quill... said...

best of luck in ur new business dear. :) wish can order fr u for my functions here. my hubby is on a roll inviting friends over almost every other weekend! penat wooo esp w baby. :)

Maya said...

love kasui..is it pandan ? coz it looks greeny.. eh tapi ada pandan ka di uk ? :D

saw your enid blyton's collection..sungguh jeles saya..

Anonymous said...

Hi,

Where do you get lye water?

SC

Anonymous said...

Kalo tak guna kapur takpe ke? Apa purpose kapur tu? Btw ramai ke msians disitu? Nice blog...nice family.

MsBoogie

Halwafy said...

Thank you everyone, for the good wishes!

The business is still small and baru nak start sikit2...a long way to go! I'm excited and happy about it though..anyone out there who wants to order just email me ya..

SC: Any chinese shop will probably have them...I got mine from a nearby Hoo Hing.

MsBoogie: Thank you. Apparently the air kapur is so that dia jadi kental...I think it will work without it inshaAllah but rasa dia wont be the same of course!

There are quite a few Malaysians in London but they are scattered all over the place...hereabouts ni takda langsung...sob, sob!

cutiepie said...

congratsssss!!! i am happy to hear this .. all the best and maybe one day it will grow bigger and bigger!!!

*hugs*

citykoos said...

wow, how u get all the ingredients over there? and here i thot the air kapur for kuih kasui is just tokmak's joke.. rupanya betul! haha!

Angelito17 said...

Hi,

I am actually dying for some Kuih lapis and some very, very spicy malaysian food in London.

Do you know where it is possible to get kuih in London and what is actually the best Malaysian restaurant, from a local's perspective?

ME said...

Wow my favs.. How can I order from you?