I have been fasting for the past 2 days and as usual, when I fast, I get cravings.
I was hankering for some home made carrot cake. No choice - had to make them and it was my first time making one of these.
I have to say the cake turned out really wonderful - although not as thick as I would like it to be. But this is good because we normally end up giving away our 'thick' cakes anyway - because they last for too long otherwise.
The cheese frosting is a little runny. But this is because I had not much icing sugar left and had to use whatever that was available. But it tastes wonderful - more sweet cheese than cheesy sweet, if you know what I mean.
My mother would be proud of me if she tasted this cake.
Wish I could email her a slice.
I used 2/3 of each ingredient in the recipe below because this recipe is for a 9x13 inch baking tin. But I think it would be fine if you use a 9" tin and also fill a muffin tray to make some carrot cupcakes as well to give away to your in laws or something :)
I used a grater that's not too fine so I just chopped my grated carrots a little bit more to reduce the size of the carrot bits. And then I put them in a sieve and pressed down a little bit to reduce the juice - but I included about 2 Tbs of this juice back inside the cake mixture later.
In the brackets is the amount I used for the cake above.
- 4 eggs (3)
- 1 1/4 cups vegetable oil (3/4 and a bit more)
- 1 cup white sugar + 1 cup brown sugar (2/3 each)
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract (1 and 1/4)
- 2 cups all-purpose flour (1 and 1/3)
- 2 teaspoons baking soda (1 and 1/4)
- 2 teaspoons baking powder (1 and 1/4)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt (1/4)
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon (1-1/4)
- 3 cups grated carrots (2)
- 1 cup chopped walnuts (2/3)
- 1/2 cup butter, softened (1/3)
- 225g cream cheese, softened (150g)
- 3 cups confectioners' sugar (2.5)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract (3/4)
- 1 cup chopped walnuts (optional) (2/3)
- Preheat oven to 175 degrees C. Grease and flour a 9x13 inch pan.
- In a large bowl, beat together eggs, oil, white sugar and 2 teaspoons vanilla. Mix in flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt and cinnamon. Stir in carrots. Fold in nuts. Pour into prepared pan.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 40 to 50 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the centre of the cake comes out clean. Let cool in pan for 10 minutes, then turn out onto a wire rack and cool completely.
- To Make Frosting: In a medium bowl, combine butter, cream cheese, confectioners' sugar and 1 teaspoon vanilla. Beat until the mixture is smooth and creamy. Stir in chopped nuts. Frost the cooled cake.